A tour of the Estate with a birdwatching expert to see the typical breeding birds of the area. Suitable for beginners and experienced bird watchers. Please bring binoculars if you have them and suitable clothing/footwear for some short walks. Meet at the Elan Valley Visitor Centre (Grid reference SN 928646) at 9.30am, back about 1pm. Bookings in advance on 01597 810880. We reserve the right to change/cancel events. www.elanvalley.org.uk
You are here
Whatever you do, you do it together. You’re always looking for fun, laughter and something a little bit different. You want your kids to remember all this. You’re a Family.
Here’s a list of stuff we think you’d love.
1. Spot the Big Five of the wildlife-rich Elan Valley: the common lizard, the Welsh clearwing moth, the otter, the brown hare and the red kite.
2. Ride one of the world’s steepest clifftop railways at the Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynlleth.
3. Follow a mysterious hooded boatman as he sails you through King Arthur’s Labyrinth at Corris.
4. Turn the handles and watch the models spin, bob and whirl at Machinations, Britain’s only museum of moving toys.
5. Meet an animatronic shepherd called Ieuan at the Cambrian Woollen Mill in Llanwrtyd Wells.
6. Watch the pig racing, see a chinchilla being bathed and meet Blodwyn the water buffalo at Cantref Adventure Farm near Brecon.
7. Join Little Red Riding Hood on the Rock Park Fairy Tale Trail in Llandrindod Wells.
8. Catch a glimpse of Monty, Britain’s most famous osprey, at the Cors Dyfi nature reserve near Machynlleth.
9. Walk though immense limestone caverns at the Dan-yr-Ogof National Showcaves Centre for Wales – and see one of the world’s largest dinosaur parks.
10. Meet some cheeky chimps and hear the howl of the only wolves in the Brecon Beacons National Park at the Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary in Abercraf.
Have you ever heard of the Gruffalo? Well, why not join us at RSPB Lake Vyrnwy where we'll start off with one or two of his stories (with a little bit of help from his friends of course) before going on a Gruffalo hunt to find the Gruffalo himself. Booking essential. www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/seenature/reserves/guide/l/lakevyrnwy/about.aspx
Crafts of yesteryear and today. Come and see a range of crafts made by local crafters and artists carad.org.uk
Sunday 21st May 2017 between 11am and 4pm for the Glanusk Estate Fayre & NGS Open Garden. Once again the Family Run Tea Tent will be serving hot and cold drinks and a selection of cakes and biscuits, Sugarloaf catering return with their delicious menu and The Roaming Caravan Co. Mobile Caravan Bar will be here with their cocktail bar also serving beer and wine. ITV's Ruth Wignall will be opening the event and Nellie Pom Poms will be in conversation with Lynne Allbutt, Terry Walton and Andrew T Price. There will also be demonstrations from Out to Learn Willow love lily Bagpiper in South Wales John Campbell and Dryad Bushcraft. All the stands are under cover so whatever the weather it promises to be a fun day where visitors can enjoy the garden. Funds for National Garden Scheme.
Taking place on the 21st May 2017, offering a series of challenging but scenic trail races in the heart of mid-Wales. Half marathon (13 mile) and 10k and trail courses start and finish in the Royal Welsh Showground in Builth Wells and take in valleys, fields, woodland tracks and stunning forestry. The family-friendly 3k and toddler trail events offer something for all ages and abilities.