This is a 3.4 mile walk from the centre of Crossgates making use of the public footways, local country lanes and rights of way network. An easy to medium difficulty walk on some uneven terrain. Strong walking boots are recommended.
- From the parking area, by the filling station in Crossgates (grid ref: SO 0903 6494), proceed westwards towards the roundabout where the A44 and the A483 cross. At the roundabout turn right (northwards) and follow the footway for approximately 830 metres.
- Shortly after Rock Road, on the right hand side, cross the A483 (taking care) and take the lane leading westwards down towards the Clywedog Brook.
- Cross the brook by means of the Public Footbridge and follow the path through the sheep pens and onto the woodland ahead. Pass through the field gate and head to the right and up the hill. Following the way marked route, follow the path through the pedestrian gates in the fence on the right and out of the wood. Turn right, through another field gate and follow the path down towards Greenway bungalow. The path passes the side of the bungalow and follows the track down to the A44.
- Cross the A44 (taking care) and turn left, with the caravan park on your right-hand side. Keep to the side of the road and walk along the grass verge for approximately 150 metres.
- On your right-hand side turn down through a pedestrian gate and head down across the field, keeping to the middle of the field as you go.
- At the bottom of the field cross the Clywedog Brook once again, this time by means of a large wooden footbridge.
- Once over the bridge head across the boardwalk and through the pedestrian gate and head across the field, following the way marked route. Pass through two field gates and head across the farmland until you reach the kissing gate, pass through this and the river will now be on your immediate right-hand side.
- Follow the edge of the river bank and pass under the railway line. Turn to the right here and follow the way marked route across the farmland and head towards Church House Farm.
- Keeping all the farm buildings on your left-hand side, pass through the farm area and around the outside edge of St Padarn’s Church.
- Once onto the footway cross the road straight ahead (taking care). Follow the country lane up the hill to the first road junction.
- Turn left at this junction and follow the lane down the hill, heading towards the A44.
- When you reach the A44, turn left and pass under the railway bridge. Follow the footway along until opposite the filling station and cross the road here or carry on along the footway until the crossing just before the roundabout, cross here and walk back to the filing station and the car park.
Your circular walk of Llanbadarn Fawr is complete.