Llandrindod Wells: Heritage Trail
1. Memorial Gardens Outside the Town Information Office. Here you will find information about the town, the Town Hall, Museum and the Metropole Hotel. Cross the main road at the pedestrian crossing.
2. Temple Gardens The display is on the pavement beyond the bandstand. Information on Temple Gardens, Lindens Walk, the Stone Circle-that used to stand here, the Glen Usk and the Commodore Hotels. Walk along Middleton Street, the main shopping street of our town today.
3. Middleton Street The display is outside of the Post Office, at the far end of Middleton Street. Details of our oldest shops and memories of some that have been replaced by modern retail premises, such as the Central Wales Emporium and the Oriental Bazaar. Carefully cross back over the road and down hill to the Station.
4. The Station The display is outside the Station. Details of the Heart of Wales Railway Line which arrived here in 1865 and continues to operate today. The Old Signal Box is now a Museum of the Age of Steam Railways. Cross over the Railway footbridge and turn left past the Police Station.
5. The High Street The display is half way along on the pavement near the car parking area. Details here of the Old County Hall (now the Magistrate’s Court), the site of the Market and Assembly Rooms and the Llanerch Inn. Continue in the same direction, and carefully cross the road at the roundabout.
6. The Gwalia The display is to the left of the former Gwalia Hotel, at the entrance to the Rock Park. Details here of the former Gwalia Hotel, the Albert Hall and the Presbyterian Church and the former Christ Church Congregational Chapel. Walk down the path to the Rock Spa Centre.
7. Rock Park Spa & Treatment Centre The display faces the Spa buildings. Details here of the Waters of Llandrindod Spa and their history. Retrace your steps through the Rock Park and chose another path to take you back to the Town, up Spa Crescent and back to Temple Gardens. Continue up the hill past the Gardens and turn left past Holy Trinity Church and walk down the path to the left of the car park opposite the Pavilion.
8. The Pavilion and Holy Trinity Details here of the Grand Pavilion and Holy Trinity Church. From here you can see the newer Indoor Bowling Centre. Either walk through the narrow path past the Dance Centre or retrace your steps and walk down Spa Road, carefully cross the main road at Five Ways and follow the directions to the Lake.
9. The Autopalace The display is just around the corner at the back of the Automobile Palace. The Autopalace contains the National Bicycle Exhibition and shops. Details here of the Autopalace and its history and of the Ye Wells Hotel opposite (now Coleg Powys). Walk up the hill to the Lake.
10. The Lake The display is this side of the Lake Café as you approach the Lake. Details here of the Lake, the Old Parish Church, Llandrindod Hall and the Golf Course on the hill beyond the Lake. Follow the path to the Powys County Council building.
11. The Pump House Hotel The display is outside the Powys County Council building. Details here of the history of the former Pump House and Hotel which once stood here. Return to Town Information Office via Spa Road and Beaufort Road.