This is a short walk from the centre of Mochdre making use of the public footpaths to the south of the village. It is a walk of medium difficulty on some uneven terrain with some steep climbs. A shorter option is available. Stout boots and waterproofs essential.
1. This walk starts from the car park below the old school located to the west of the Church. There is a “Private Car Park” sign in the car park, but walkers are welcome to use the car park provided that they show some consideration on Sundays or at other times when the Church may be in use. From the car park, descend steeply down the hill as the lane weaves past various houses. Turn right at the bottom of the lane to emerge onto a minor road at a ford with a footbridge alongside.
2. Do not use the ford or footbridge, but instead go directly across the road to find a footpath between the house and stream. Follow this footpath upstream along the northern bank over a series of stiles.
3. Shortly after crossing a small footbridge, the path splits. Continue directly ahead along the left hand fork following the bank of the stream until the path turns left to cross two footbridges in quick succession over the stream and a tributary.
4. Immediately after the second of these two footbridges, there is an option to turn left on a shorter loop. This shorter option follows a path over a series of stiles to reach the minor road south-east of the ford mentioned earlier. Turn left down the road to reach the ford and then right up the lane and retrace your steps up to the car park.
5. The main route turns to the right after the pair of footbridges and climbs steeply along a narrow path to reach a minor road at a metal wicket gate. Descend the steps on to the road and turn right along it for approximately 100 yards. Opposite the property known as The Mount Smithy, look for a gap in the hedge on the right and descend on to a path which follows the stream.
6. Where this path emerges on to a clear track, turn right and follow the track down to a ford. Use the footbridge alongside the ford to cross the stream and climb the obvious track to reach Hafod Farm. Veer left through the farm yard to pick up the farm drive which is followed up to a crossroads.
7. Take the right fork at this crossroads and follow the road as it descends, and then climbs past Llwynybryn Farm. About 200 yards after the farm look out for a lane veering off to the right.
8. Do not go down this lane, but look up to your right where there is a field gate at the top of the bank. Climb up the bank to go through the gate and follow the left hand edge of the next field looking for a stile on the left near the end of the field. Step over the stile, cross the lane and go through a wooden field gate.
9. Veer right to climb over a stile and then continue ahead to descend back down to the stream followed at the start of the walk.
10. At the junction of paths, veer left and retrace your steps past the ford and back up the lane to the car park.