Pentre Llifior Methodist Church
First Wesleyan preaching house in North Wales, built in 1798 and recently restored; originally built by the Revd James Buckley, itinerant preacher and founder of Buckley's Brewery of Llanelly, South Wales. The Preachers' Stable has been extended in 2012 to include toilets, museum and kitchen facilities.
Buckley's helper at Pentre Llifior was James Gill, an early missionary to Gibraltar. Buckley preached the sermon at a rally prior to the inception of the first Methodist missionary society in 1813.
Today, Brains Brewery, who acquired Buckley's, continue to produce the premium ale brand, 'The Revd James', originally brewed in commemoration of 200th anniversary of James Buckley's ordination in 1791.
01938 555376 Or 01686 621354
April to September: Wednesdays and Thursdays 2.00–4.30pm
Other times by prior appointment.
Additional visitor information:
Some car parking and coach access
Light refreshments available
Powys Castle in Welshpool. Montgomery County Town with castle (c4mi/6km). Also, Shropshire Union Canal terminates at Newtown, and Welshpool and Llanfair light railway nearby